Monday, June 14, 2010

Pat R. Alexander - Last 10 Years in Summary

Okay, it’s my turn and I’ll try to make it brief. I retired from my job as HS bookkeeper with Virginia Beach Schools after 28 years in 2005. After a couple of months, I came to enjoy being retired and now I’m like every other retired person and wonder how I ever had time to work. Some of you will know what I mean. My son, Tim, who had 4 children in 2000, gave me 2 more grandchildren, Harrison, (8) and Sheridan (3). For more about Tim’s family, you can check his website at http://www.alexanderadventures.com/ . There are lots of pictures of his beautiful family. Three of my grandchildren have graduated high school, April, Meredith, and Elliott. April married Alexander in 2006-making me have 9 grandchildren. April earned her BA degree in 2009 and is working on her Masters in Library Science. Her husband is a graduate of UT at Knoxville and received his masters at Treveka Nazarene University. Meredith has her real estate/broker license and lives at home with her parents. She is engaged to Stephen and a December wedding is planned. Elliott is doing organic farming with the family business in Amelia, VA. Jake is a junior in high school (Gallatin, TN). Oliver, Sullivan and Harrison are home-schooled and Sheridan is so sweet. My daughter, Sherry, is teaching in Gallatin, TN and recently earned her Master’s degree from Treveka Nazarene University. Her husband, Gary, is working on his degree. That sums up my children and grandchildren. Sheridan (3) and Harrison (8) are
pictured here sitting in a tire swing. I love taking pictures of the grandchildren.

A few days after my retirement, our best friend, Curtis, was accidentally killed on his job site. We were devastated as it changed our life considerably. The next year, Thurman started a renovation on our house in Chesapeake, VA adding 8 feet across the back, remodel of the master bath, bedroom and walk-in closet which made some changes in the family room and deck.

About 3 years ago, Thurman and I bought a second home in Okeechobee, Florida. We were spending a couple of months at the Big O RV Resort (in a 30 ft. RV) when Thurman found a DEAL--a park model “fixer-upper”—pictured before and after. Thurman is talented enough to do the work himself so that’s where we go in October, January, February, and March. Unless he starts another project, he will be finished with the renovation this coming October when we hope to return to the Big O. Not much was accomplished this winter because of family illness and death. Thurman’s stepfather passed away in February and his mother is now living with his sister. We are learning to take things as they come. We have many friends at the Big O who come from all over the US and Canada. People call us “Snow Birds”.


Besides Florida, we and/or I found some time for a cruise to Bermuda and one to Boston, New England and Canada. We visit our children every chance we get and occasionally attend Blue Grass Festivals.

No comments: